Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Truth Behind "The Truth Behind Hip Hop"

One of the things I promised myself I would do when I got my blog back up was to analyze the book titled, "The Truth Behind Hip-Hop," written by G. Craige Lewis. I was introduced to Lewis' work a number of years ago by my friend Shawn Hayes. Shawn called me and told me that there was a dude going around the country preaching that Hip Hop was an evil spirit and that God had called him (Lewis) to warn the Church about this spirit and to drive it out of the Church. I asked Shawn where I could read what Lewis had written and Shawn told me that Lewis' main form of communication was his DVD set and that these DVDs were $25 dollars each, but if I didn’t have access to the DVDs, Lewis had some articles on his website that I could read. I went to the site and read some of his pieces and was not impressed. They were filled with poorly developed  arguments and tortured hermeneutics. I couldn't see myself paying $25 a pop for something I wasn't sure was even legit.
Well, last year Lewis published a book which contains his main argument against hip hop. I waited a few months so that I could get it used on amazon.com and my copy arrived at the beginning of the summer, but since my summer was hectic, I didn't have a chance to read it. To be honest, I don't have time to deal with it now, but analyzing this book is doing double duty. I've decided to study it as my devotions as well. Since this book is written for the Church, it will mostly likely deal with a lot of Scripture as well as theological themes on which I can meditate and apply (if applicable of course) to my personal walk.
Anyway, my goal is to move through this book chapter by chapter on this blog. This might not happen but this is may goal. So, I’ll be reading the first chapter tonight and commenting on it tomorrow. If you have the book, please read it with me and please comment. Like I said in my very first post, fill free to help me work through these issues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment